Popular Posts

Monday, January 17, 2011

Comfortable

Today was such a productive, yet relaxing day!

First, we went to our medical exam to make sure our vaccinations are up to date and just have a routine check up. Sorry if this is overshare, BUT I have to tell the story. The woman who was looking through my papers and checked out my eyes and such, did not speak the best English in the world. So, she looks at me dead serious and goes, "Okay now you to go to the bathroom and make pee pee in this cup." I may or may not have bursted out in laughter and said, "WHAT?" ahahahaha. I think she though that was the proper way to tell me that? I'm not sure, but I could not help it.

We met a few girls in the waiting room who will be in a couple of our classes at Plantijn. I think they thought we were crazy. Woopsies. Julie did explain that Belgians tend to be a bit more introverted and I definitely forgot when I told them that the doctor asked me to pee in a cup. They looked a little mortified and I made a mental note that not everyone is as open as me.

After that, we took our time walking through the city and took a ton of pictures. We are becoming so comfortable with living in this city at this point. We have been so proud of ourselves lately. Although, we did have a bit of an epiphany a couple of days ago. This is really sad, but it is just too funny to keep to ourselves. So the first day we went to a movie, we had been shown the theater before, but we just kind of stumbled upon it again and decided to see a movie. When trying to navigate ourselves home, we got ourselves so far away from home that we had to take the subway back to Central Station and then try to find our way home from there. And we did, but it literally took us an hour to get home. When walking to the theater to meet our international friends, we came to the horrifying realization that the theater is literally 5 minutes from our house. You literally take a right and it is a straight shot.

On top of that, and possibly even worse, there is a street called Mier and it is like THE street for shopping. We have been window shopping there everyday. Central Station is at the end of this street. Well, even after we finally figured out where the theater was, we did not realize it was on Mier straat and right beside Central Station. The route we had been taking to Central Station had been taking us about 20 minutes...We finally realized today that we live about 8 minutes from Central Station and from Mier straat. Soooo embarrassing, but at least we can laugh about it now.

So, after frolicking around the city, we went to the school to become formally registered students. I cannot even explain how relieving it was to have all of our paperwork in! Medical exam and registration done in one day! Now if only our student IDs would come like...yesterday. =)

For lunch, not only did we meet up with Eline, but I met up with my dear old for, Tomatoes. For those of you who know me well, you know that 1. I love tuna and 2. I HATE tomatoes. Well I got a tunafish sandwich. When I opened it, it had some tomatoe chunks in it. It also had chunks of pears too, but I was less concerned about that. I almost decided to start picking out the tomatoes, but instead, HOLD THE PHONE, I left them in and ate the sandwich. It was actually probably the best sandwich ever. The mixture of the tuna, mayonnaise, pears, tomatoes, and delicious bread was heavenly. You better all be super proud of me, because I don't try new things often, especially with tomatoes in it! om nom nom. I want another one right now.

After lunch, we were walking around, window shopping for diamonds and then Eline said that she wanted to treat us to coffee in the opera house. The coffee shop was GORGEOUS. We're talking Sistine Chapel level gorgeousness. And apparently the Brad Pitt of Belgium showed up a few tables over. It was kind of funny, because Eline was getting just as excited as we were to see Rupert Grint, but we didn't understand her this time! His name was Kevin Janssens. If you google him, he is pretty darn good looking, but I don't think we appreciated it as much as Eline did! The cappuccino was delicious. Thanks Eline!

After that, Eline reccommended we go to another mall. We had the greatest time window shopping. I have been so proud of us that we haven't spent all our money on clothes, because we have literally browsed through all of the stores here and have made no spontaneous purchases! We did, however, buy adorable postcards to send to loved ones. These have literally been our most exciting purchases. We were so happy after that point.

We got home around 7pm and are currently still forcing ourselves to stay awake so that we can sleep through the night. Tomorrow we are meeting up with Eline to window shop some more, but this time at Ikea. I can't wait. I love picking out my dream furniture on the website so it will be fun to do so in person too.

I will be posting pictures on facebook soon I swear! I took so many today there is bound to be some good ones! <3 <3

No comments:

Post a Comment